5 Common Car Accidents in Miami
If you live in sun-kissed South Florida, then you know driving can be tough. A large majority of car accidents in the United States on record have occurred in the state of Florida, with over 600 car accidents daily. Miami accounted for the highest percentage. The leading cause of these collisions is usually careless or distracted driving.
Here are the five most common car accidents in Miami, Florida:
- Head-on collisions. Head-on collisions are incredibly dangerous especially since the amount of force on impact is typically severe. Even though a car’s front bumper is designed to absorb much of the force and impact, traveling at high speeds and heavy traffic only worsens each case and the odds.
Distracted drivers are one of the most common reasons for head-on collisions. There are many things that can lead to driver distraction, but the most common include talking or texting on a phone or eating.
While seat belts and air bags help to reduce the painful aftereffects of head-on collisions, victims still suffer severe injuries such as brain and spinal cord damages, fractures, paralysis, and even the loss of life in extreme cases.
- Rear-end collisions. Rear-end collisions are extremely common. Perhaps the fortunate side of these accidents is that they normally occur at low speeds, though sometimes the impact can lead to serious injuries to the occupants of both cars.
While there are numerous causes of rear-end collisions, inattentiveness amongst drivers is the greatest cause. Other reasons include impaired or poor vision due to bad weather, blind spots in a vehicle, or multitasking while driving. Most rear-end collisions that occur on a daily basis can easily be prevented if drivers can refrain from engaging in distracting activities.
- Driving under the influence. Driving under the influence of alcohol is a serious offense. Unfortunately, these instances are incredibly common in Miami, particularly during the evening hours.
According to a study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in 2009, Miami ranked in the third position for accidents caused by drivers who were under the influence of drugs or alcohol for both adult and underage drivers. Similarly in 2009, accordingly to the National Highway of Traffic Safety Administration, intoxicated drivers caused over 700 fatalities in Miami.
Despite such scary statistics, it is very easy to prevent drunk driving by refraining from getting into a car after a party or dinner, or asking a friend to drive home or take a taxi or public transportation.
- Hit and Run. Hit and run car accidents in Miami, Florida have always been rated among the most devastating car accidents. Not only do victims suffer from physical trauma and severe injuries due to the impact of an accident, but they also suffer emotional trauma from the awareness of being hit by a vehicle and left alone.
- Highway accidents. Miami highways, expressways, and interstates are busy with the heavy daily commute, which ultimately means more accidents. In addition, the number of tractor-trailer trucks entering and exiting highways due to the number of industrial areas and ports also increase the number of accidents.
Regardless of the severity, these type of car accidents in Miami no doubt lead to a great deal of pain and suffering for victims and their loved ones. Call a personal injury attorney in Miami today for legal help.